Thursday, November 6, 2008

Kuala Lumpur - The Second Time Around

Petronas Twin Towers photo by Eye in the Sky



Back in Kuala Lumpur. In a lot of ways, KL feels like home away from home, except that the majority of the population is of Muslim sovereign, which is me saying that this religious difference is hogwash. A lot of the local ladies are cloaked in their colorful silky garbs, covered to their heads.

Compared to the city of
Manila which has a population of 1.6 million lost souls, KL-lites number to about 1.8 million. Manila’s metropolitan area has 11.5 million, while KL’s greater metropolitan area is a measly 7 million or thereabouts. I officially became part of the influx of tourists as I stepped out of the impressive KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport).


When I was here last year, it was from the poor man’s backyard of LCCT (low cost carrier terminal) where there’s absolutely nothing to see as I stepped out of the airport at 2AM! KLIA, on the other hand, is an architectural wonder. If the world where I travel is my home, then NAIA’s Terminal 1 feels like the backroads – the dirty kitchen, if you will. And KLIA is the state-of-the-art garden!

I am in a quandary actually. I shall be on constant move every 2-3 days or so, which is a spine-tingling thought - a bottleful of nerves and excitements! It’s an indescribable feeling when you do not know a single soul in a foreign land. My mind is currently a scatterbrain of ideas, of little fiddles and minor duplicities.

But as I mentioned earlier, I find comfort in the anonymity of people and unfamiliarity of places. Let’s see how this one goes.


This is the Eye in the Sky.




No comments: